Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:DeSantis-controlled Disney World oversight district slashes diversity, equity initiatives -Ascend Wealth Education
TradeEdge Exchange:DeSantis-controlled Disney World oversight district slashes diversity, equity initiatives
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 05:03:48
In the ongoing dispute between Walt Disney World and TradeEdge ExchangeFlorida Gov. Ron DeSantis, diversity, equity, and inclusion programs were abolished Tuesday by the media conglomerate's governing district — the latest move to restrict such measures in the state.
The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, which is now controlled by appointees of DeSantis, said in a statement that it was cutting its DEI committee, related job duties, and any remaining initiatives from when the district was controlled by Disney proponents. Those initiatives had awarded contracts based on racial and gender parity goals.
"The so-called diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives were advanced during the tenure of the previous board and they were illegal and simply unAmerican,” the district's new administrator Glenton Gilzean said in the statement. “Our district will no longer participate in any attempt to divide us by race or advance the notion that we are not created equal."
The initiative cuts is the latest move against diversity programming by the DeSantis base. The governor signed legislation in May that banned state funding for diversity programs at Florida’s public colleges. DeSantis has also been fighting to regulate how the state’s education system approaches topics like race and gender.
The announcement also comes amid a yearlong feud between Disney and DeSantis, who punished the company by taking away its ability to self-govern and appointing a new board of supervisors. Disney has since sued DeSantis and his appointees in federal court, claiming the "government action was patently retaliatory, patently anti-business, and patently unconstitutional."
'Evade responsibility':Disney criticizes Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' attempt to remove himself from legal battle
Disney, DeSantis legal battle continues
DeSantis appointed five new board members and an administrator in February after renaming the Reedy Creek Improvement District, effectively stripping Disney of its self-governing power over the 38-square-mile entertainment empire.
The DeSantis takeover of the district was passed by Republican lawmakers, allowing the new board of supervisors to oversee municipal services at Disney's theme parks and hotels. Prior to DeSantis’ changes, the district ran under Disney supporters for more than five decades.
The company also made agreements with its previous oversight board members, removing authority over design and development from the new board members.
Disney sued DeSantis and his appointees in federal court, claiming that their actions violated free speech rights by retaliating against the company because of its criticism last year of the "Don't Say Gay" bill. DeSantis requested immunity from the legal feud last week, which Disney rejected.
In a second lawsuit filed in state court, the DeSantis appointees are seeking to invalidate the agreements made with previous board members.
'Disney is not sexualizing children':Bob Iger responds to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' claims
Latest limitation of DEI initiatives in Florida
The dissolution of Disney's DEI initiatives is the latest limitation of such measures in Florida.
In May, DeSantis, who is running for the GOP presidential nomination, signed a legislation banning state funding for diversity programs at the state's public universities.
The governor and his Republican-majority Legislature also passed the state's so-called “Stop WOKE” law, which restricts how race is discussed in Florida schools, colleges, and workplaces. But last November, a federal judged locked the law’s enforcement in colleges, universities and businesses, calling it "positively dystopian."
Contributing: Thao Nguyen, Kayla Jimenez and Sarah Elbeshbishi, USA TODAY; Associated Press
veryGood! (233)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Deion Sanders got unusual publicity bonus from Colorado, records show
- Check your VPN, abortion seekers. New 'Vagina Privacy Network' aims to keep data safe
- Kylie Kelce Shares Past Miscarriage Story While Addressing Insensitive Pregnancy Speculation
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Seattle police officer fired over vile comments after death of woman fatally struck by police SUV
- National Ice Cream Day 2024: Get some cool deals at Dairy Queen, Cold Stone, Jeni's and more
- Krispy Kreme giving away free doughnuts Friday due to global tech outage: What to know
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Stalker, Accused of Threatening Travis Kelce, Arrested at Germany Eras Tour
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Churchill Downs lifts suspension of trainer Bob Baffert following Medina Spirit’s failed drug test
- What Usha Vance’s rise to prominence means to other South Asian and Hindu Americans
- Chrysler recalls more than 24,000 hybrid minivans, tells owners to stop charging them
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Laneige Is 30% Off Post-Prime Day in Case You Missed Picks From Alix Earle, Sydney Sweeney & More Celebs
- How to watch the WNBA All-Star 3-point contest: TV channel, participants, more
- Superstorm Sandy group eyes ballots, insurance surcharges and oil fees to fund resiliency projects
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor charged with failing to update address on sex offender registry
Drone strike by Yemen’s Houthi rebels kills 1 person and wounds at least 10 in Tel Aviv
6 people, including a boy, shot dead in Mexico as mass killings of families persist
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Hot, inland California cities face the steepest water cuts with new conservation mandate
CrowdStrike CEO George Kurtz Apologizes Amid Massive Tech Outage
Tiger Woods misses cut, finishes disastrous British Open at 14-over